Thursday, October 6, 2011

OMG, I forgot about you!

Yes, yes, I know. I've been a bad author blogger person thingy. I started this blog with the intention of updating it once a week and what did I do? I forgot about it and went back to my evil review blog. I neglected me. But that does not mean, however, that I neglected my writing.

I finished my manuscript! Yay!

I am half done with editing my manuscript! Yay!

It's out with beta readers right now who are combing it for suckage. Yay!

So, what would I call this period, the time between "OMG it's done! I should submit it now and get an agent and be the next Stephenie Meyer and rule the world with awesome!" and "Okay, I will calmly submit this, cross my fingers, and hope for the best"? The time where I bite my nails, look for jobs (still unemployed - although I did have a dream last night where I got a job, and also where my dad was inept with a camera, but that's a story for another day), diligently work on scrubbing and polishing my baby, and pray that once it's time I will have the courage to actually submit my query.

Oh, didn't tell you that part. Yeah, I have a bit of an issue called "emailingphobia". I can barely send off a resume and cover letter without freaking out and then compulsively walking around my house for 20 minutes to the front door and back. Same with phones. I can't call someone without spending 10 minutes at least staring at the phone hoping it doesn't jump up and eat me. I have social issues. Doesn't help that I know my parents are reading this right now because they google my name and tell their friends, "Aww look, our daughter is a writer! How cute. I wish she'd find a job."

I apply for jobs, parents. Stop nagging me. Blame congress. Or someone that isn't named Megan.

But beta readers? They've helped immensely.



All of them deserve the biggest hugs and shoutouts and lurving. One calls out my characterization issues while another complains I use too many adverbs. Both of which are valid points. Quickly, hesitantly, lovingly, dreadfully, sadly. I need to do a show, not tell post soon. Maybe in two months when I remember that I have this blog again and decide to post.

Well, that's it for now I guess. I need to go slay the adverb monster and rescue my main characters from the depths of character hell. Hi ho Silver, awayyyyyyyy!

No comments:

Post a Comment